Use of Facilities

Information and Instructions Concerning the Use of Research Facilities

Department of Chemistry French Family Science Center

Welcome to the Duke University Chemistry Department! We hope that you will find the following information helpful during your residency in this department.

Get on Payroll

Employee Status Procedure
Graduate Student All payroll matters for Graduate Students are managed by the DGSA in Room 3213. The DGSA will meet with all matriculating students either individually or in groups when they arrive on campus to secure the necessary documentation and hire into the appropriate payroll system. Information about this process is provided to incoming students prior to their arrival to Duke.
Undergraduate student or Bi-weekly Employee or Monthly Employee

Fill out the following forms (unless you are currently on the Duke payroll and transferring to the chemistry department from another department):

  • Employment Eligibility Verification (employee portion of Form I-9; the link to the electronic form will be emailed to the new employee after the hire is processed through payroll)
  • Foreign National Form (omit if you are a U.S. citizen).  The form may be accessed at:
  • Federal Withholding Allowance Certification (Form W-4; completed electronically through the Duke@Work system; foreign nationals must fill out the paper form after visiting VISA services)
  • NC Dept. of Revenue Withholding Allowance Certificate (Form NC-4; completed electronically through the Duke@Work system; foreign nationals must fill out the paper form after visiting VISA services)
  • Direct Deposit Authorization (completed electronically through the Duke@Work system)
  • Background Certification (undergraduate and graduate students do NOT need to complete this form; background checks for all employees are completed through e-Verify)

To be placed on payroll, bring the completed forms appropriate for your status and appropriate identification as specified in the "Lists of Appropriate Documents" section of the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) to the monthly payroll representative in FFSC, room 3236. You cannot be put on the Duke Payroll until all this information has been submitted for verification.

Monthly employees will also have an appointment scheduled for them to attend an orientation session that includes information concerning benefits.

Visit Duke University's Human Resources website for policies and additional information.

Obtain Net ID

  1. If you are a US citizen, follow the procedure for getting on the payroll given in the table above.

  2. If you are a Foreign National, you must first register with Visa Services. Take your visa documents, passport, and I-94 card to the Office of Visa Services, which is located at the Smith Warehouse: Bay 7-1st Floor, 114 South Buchanan Boulevard. Once registered with Visa Services, follow the procedure for getting on the payroll given in the table below.

  3. Duke Net ID's are assigned by the Office of Information Technology (OIT).

    1. Graduate and undergraduate students are notified of their NetIDs before they arrive on campus.

    2. Bi-weekly and monthly employees can be assigned a NetID only after they are officially in the Payroll system. See the payroll representative in FFSC, Room 3236 to obtain a netID.

Obtain Mailbox

Every resident is assigned a department mailbox. The mailboxes are located in the hallway between the Administrative Suite 3236 and the Bio-Sci building and are opened by a combination which will be sent to you electronically after your hire process is complete. These boxes should be checked frequently, since messages as well as notices and mail will be put there. Students are to use their box combinations, and should never enter the mailroom. Due to space limitations it may be necessary for students to share a mailbox with another person. 

Obtain Duke ID Card

After completing payroll, obtain an authorization form from Christiana Conti in Suite 3236, Room 3236B. The Duke Card Office is located in Lower Level Rear Entrance of OIT Telecom Building. In addition to serving as an ID card it has many other uses. For more information see the DukeCard Office website. There is a fee for the initial card and a fee for replacement of lost or stolen cards.

Obtain Parking Permit

After completing payroll and obtaining a Duke ID Card, a parking permit (not available to undergraduates) may be obtained from the University Parking Office, 302 Science Drive (the ground level of the Science Drive parking garage), 919-684-7275. Availability of Chemistry Lot parking spaces is limited and permits may not be available. Further information about parking permits is available on their websitePayroll deduction for this fee is available.

Obtain Safety Certification

Before obtaining keys and card access to French, all new residents should follow the instructions below and complete the three online safety training modules required by the chemistry department.

  1. If you are working in a laboratory complete the three online training modules Hazard Communication for Lab Personnel, Fire/Life Safety and Laboratory Safety. If you are working in an office complete the Ergonomics Overview training in addition to the three modules for research lab work.  The training modules are located on the Occupational & Environmental Safety Office web site at: Click on the "Online Training" square under Quick Links.  Access to this site requires your NetID (item 2 above).
  2. At the end of each online training course there will be a short quiz. You should take the quiz and, when you pass, print out the confirmation page. When you are ready to obtain keys and card access, bring the print out to a staff specialist in Suite 3236, Room 3236C. 
  3. Familiarize yourself with the general contents of the departmental Safety Manual (with links to the University Safety Manual) so that you can use it more effectively as the need arises.
  4. Those who will be Teaching Assistants in the fall term will also be expected to attend a safety orientation meeting. You will be informed of the date, time, and location of this meeting.

Obtain Safety Glasses

Chemistry Department Policy as well as State and Federal Laws require that all persons wear safety glasses (equipped with side shields) or safety goggles while in any laboratory in the Chemistry Department. It is acceptable to wear contact lenses or prescription glasses under, but not in place of, safety glasses. It is understood that safety glasses will always be worn when in the laboratory. Failure to wear adequate eye protection or to enforce its use in teaching laboratories is a violation of the law (and common sense). Your complete cooperation is expected and will be appreciated. Safety glasses may be obtained as follows.

  1. Teaching Assistants Non-prescription safety glasses are provided by the department for Laboratory Teaching Assistants. See your Lab Manager for the procedure for obtaining these plain lens safety glasses, or obtain prescription safety glasses from the vendor of your choice at your own expense.
  2. Non-teaching Assistants Others in a lab must acquire, at their own expense, plain lens safety glasses or goggles from the University Store in the Bryan Center, or obtain prescription safety glasses from the vendor of their choice.
  3. Persons working with Lasers The department also requires that special safety glasses be worn in laser laboratories. Persons using lasers should see their research director for the procedure for obtaining these special glasses.

Obtain Key Authorizations

Before obtaining keys and card access to French, you also need to obtain authorization from the appropriate persons. 

  1. If you are an entering post-doc, see your research director for assignment to a lab space and authorization of keys.
  2. If you are an undergraduate who will be employed by the chemistry department (UTA, UPRA, lab technician, etc.), see the person employing you for appropriate authorizations.  Please note that Chemistry policies do not permit undergraduate students to be issued keys to labs.
  3. If you are a staff person, see the Business Manager in Suite 3236, Room 3237 for assignment of space and authorization of keys, etc.
  4. If you are an entering graduate student, you will not be able to complete the key authorization form at this time since your assignment to a lab space and your authorization for lab keys and access to instrument rooms will not occur until you affiliate with a research group (at the end of the first semester). However, your Duke ID card provides access to French Family Science Center after hours.

Obtain Card Access / Keys

  1. Required forms: the print out(s) of the confirmation page showing successful completion of online safety certification(s) and the key authorization form signed by your research director or person supervising your employment.
  2. To obtain keys to your research lab or other areas of the building,  bring the required forms to staff in Room 3236.
    • No deposit will be required for those persons who are permanent Duke employees such as faculty, departmental, and technical personnel.
    • A deposit of $10.00 per key will be required for Adjunct Professors, Visiting Scholars, temporary employees, Senior Research Associates, Research Associates, and graduate students. Deposits will be accepted by cash in the correct amount only or by check made payable to Duke University. The deposit will be refunded to you in cash when the keys are returned at the end of your residency and you have completed the termination procedure (See section L).
  3. Upon receipt of the appropriate deposit (if required), key(s) will be issued or, if a key is not immediately available, notification will be sent to you by e-mail when it may be picked up.
  4. Having access to the instrument rooms assumes that you will use only those instruments for which you have been trained and certified by Dr. Peter Silinski or his designate.


Campus and U.S. mail is picked up and delivered once a day, usually in the early afternoon. There is a mail drop-off box in Room 3236 to the right of the main doors for all outgoing mail.

  • For Campus Mail, the University uses box numbers to deliver mail. Box numbers for the Department of Chemistry are shown below.
Category Box Number
Faculty (includes emeritus, adjunct and visiting) 90346
Staff 90347
Graduate Students 90348
Undergraduate Students 90354
Default for the department 90354
Research Staff (Postdocs, Res. Tech., Lab. Research Analysts) 90349
Chemistry Storeroom 90350
  • Using the required University address format, a graduate students' address should appear as follows: Name French Family Science Center Duke University Box 90348 Durham, NC 27708-0348 The last two lines must look exactly as above.
  • Items of a personal nature should not be sent Parcel Post or UPS to Chemistry unless clearly marked PERSONAL with your room number in the French building.
  • Mail received in French for residents of the Levine Science Research Center (LSRC) will be placed in a shared mailbox for pickup at the recipient's convenience.


The department has a scheduled, daily pickup by FedEx in French Suite 3236 occurring between 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm, with the exception of University holidays.

  • In compliance with the new Export Controls Regulations, the Department has designated one administrative staff member to assist in the shipment of FedEx. Please see Christiana Conti to ship a package via FedEx. Please have the following information available: Recipient name, address and phone number; type of package (FedEx envelope, FedEx box or your own packaging); estimated package weight; delivery method (overnight, two-day, ground); and charge code. Please speak with your laboratory safety representative for instructions on how to receive shipping clearance through the Safety Office. Your shipment must be cleared for shipment by the Safety Office prior to contacting administrative staff.


Telephones are located in each office and laboratory. 

  • Local calls outside of the Duke phone system require the area code plus the 7 digit phone number.
  • To place a call to another extension within the French building, dial the entire 7-digit number. For long distance numbers dial 1, area code and telephone number; for overseas numbers dial 011, country code, city code and telephone number.
  • In case of emergency in French Family Science Center, dial 911 if calling from a department phone (land line from offices or labs). If you are calling from a cell phone, dial 684-2444 for Duke emergency. Note: Dialing 911 from a cell phone connects with Durham emergency services and not Duke emergency services. If the emergency is on campus, calling Durham emergency delays the response time significantly since the call has to be relayed to Duke.
  • To request telephone repairs or report telephone problems you may submit a repair ticket to OIT or inform the Business Manager.


The Department has a fax machine located in Suite 3236 for administrative or research purposes. The fax number is: 919-660-1605.

  • Receiving faxes: If a fax is received for you at this number, the fax will be placed in your mailbox outside of Suite 3236. If you are expecting an urgent fax and would like to be notified when it is received, please inform one of the staff in the main office.
  • Sending faxes: To submit a fax for transmission, fill out a cover sheet and a transmission form, all located in Suite 3236 beside the fax machine. The Department covers the cost of the monthly telephone line charge, fax paper and service contract. Long distance toll charges are not covered by the Department. When submitting a fax for transmission, indicate the code to which the long distance call should be charged.

When your fax is ready to send, place it in the feed tray face up; dial the number and press the send button. For faxes sent to local numbers dial the 7-digit telephone number; for long distance numbers dial 1, area code and telephone number; for overseas numbers dial 011, country code, city code and telephone number. Once the fax has been transmitted a confirmation sheet will be printed. If you experience any difficulties, please see a member of the staff.


Generally when a NetID is assigned the e-mail account is enabled. If you have your NetID and your e-mail account has not been set up you can call the OIT Help Desk at 684-2200 to enable your account. For further information concerning e-mail visit the OIT website.


Copy machines in FFSC for the Chemistry Department are located in Rooms 1219, 1243, 2106, 3223, 3239, and 5312. Speak with your research advisor or supervisor to find out which copier you should use. Copy machines are activated by use of a departmental issued copy card to be used if the material to be copied is connected with research or teaching. The cost is charged to the card holder's account. Please note that personal copying on departmental copiers is allowed, provided a DukeCard is used. Any materials copied that are connected with your course work such as journal articles, class notes, sections of reference books, etc., should be considered as personal use.

  • Room 1219: This copy machine is located in the Undergraduate Suite and should be used for copying of teaching materials. Please see the DUSA in Room 1217 for use of this machine.
  • Rooms 2106, 3223 and 5312: These copy machines are located inside faculty suites and should be used with permission of one of the faculty members located in that suite.
  • Suite 3236, room 3239, Administrative Office: The use of this machine is restricted to faculty, administrative and technical staff of the department. However, students having an authorized copy card may have copies made on this machine if other copiers are out of order. Please see office personnel in Suite 3236 for assistance. Under no circumstances should students or research associates enter the mail room.
  • View the list of additional copier locations outside of FFSC.


  • The department has printers for printing color pages. Please see Printing at Chemistry IT Support for more information.
  • The print machine located outside room 1243 is for free ePrint services only and requires two items described earlier: a DukeCard and a NetID.

Lost and Found

Inquiries concerning lost items should be made in suite 3236. Articles found should also be turned in there. An effort will be made to notify owners of personally identifiable items; other items will be dated. After three months, unclaimed and unidentifiable objects will be given away.


  • Cars: From 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily cars with a parking permit may be parked in legal spaces in the Chemistry parking lot. Cars that are parked illegally at any time of the day or night such as at the loading dock or in a 24/7 reserved space will be ticketed and/or towed. After 5:00 PM daily and all weekend, cars may also be parked in the Physics and Circuit parking lot.
  • Bicycles and Motorcycles: Bicycles should be locked up in the racks provided. Motorcycles must be parked in regular designated motorcycle parking areas. Any motorcycle parked illegally will be ticketed and/or towed by the campus police.

Locking Times of Building

During the academic year the doors to the building are locked from 7:30 PM to 7:30 AM daily and remain locked Saturdays and Sundays. While in summer session the building is locked at 5:30 PM. During the above times card access is required.

Smoke-free Facility

Duke is a smoke-free work environment. Smoking is prohibited within all Duke University and Medical Center facilities. For more information about this policy and resources for quitting, please go to the Human Resources website.

Use of Research Space

The space assigned to a graduate student is used only for research and study. Only those personal items which are necessary to the pursuit of graduate study should be kept in the laboratory. Food and refrigerators for food should be kept in the lounge (Room 1234). Bicycles should not occupy research space (see item 1 above).

  • Radios or other audio equipment may only be used in laboratories with the approval of the research director and at such a level that they are not audible outside the room.
  • Visitors :The University does not allow children under the age of thirteen years into any research building, facility, laboratory or any other area where hazards associated with research might exist, unless the parent/guardian has the specific written approval of the Departmental Chairman. 

Graduate students who are serving as teaching assistants and/or are involved in tutoring, should arrange to meet students in locations other than their research laboratories. There are many areas throughout the building which may be used for this purpose.

Room / Space Reservations

  • Conference Rooms: Reservations for the use of conference rooms in the building are handled by Christiana Conti. Conference rooms in French that are available by reservation have built-in LCD projection systems: rooms 3224, 3225 and 5316 have an LCD monitor with laptop connections, while room 3232 has an overhead projection system with laptop connections. 
  • Other rooms or areas: Requests for reservations of rooms 2231 (the lecture hall attached to French) and 2237 (the seminar room next to the Cafe) should go directly to the Registrar's Classroom Events Calendar. Reservations for the atrium and outside areas should be made by sending a completed reservation request form (attached below) to the Business Manager. Once availability is confirmed, housekeeping services must approve and receive a fully completed/sign IR for housekeeping services. After housekeeping approvals are in place, the Chemistry Administrative Manager will approve the reservation. Your reservation is not final until you receive a signed reservation form. Please note that Chemistry does not make any other arrangements such as building access on behalf of the user nor do we supply tables, chairs or easels. It is the responsibility of the user to make all other arrangements. Please read the policies included in the reservation request thoroughly.


Graduate Student Lounge

There is a lounge for graduate student use located in Room 1234, which is equipped with a refrigerator and microwave.

Maintenance Information

Persons noting equipment or material break-downs in the building should report these by e-mail to Christiana Conti ( After hours and weekend problems which you feel should be corrected before the next working day should be reported by telephone to 919-684-2122. (Almost always you will get a recording, but state your message and when the maintenance personnel returns, it should be addressed). Emergency maintenance calls should be placed to the Campus Police, phone 911 (from landline) or 919-684-2444 (from a cell phone). Eric Fulk is the Building Manager for French and is located in Room 1133. He can be reached by calling (919) 796-2483.


The Chemistry Department participates in Duke's recycling program. Bins for recycling are located throughout the building. Please help conserve resources by recycling.


Nearly every year there are thefts of money and equipment from laboratories and offices. The problem is becoming increasingly serious. Do not leave your billfold in the pocket of your coat when you hang it up, or do not leave your purse in a position where it can be seen from the door. These and other valuable items (e.g., cameras) should be put in laboratory cupboards or drawers so that only you know where they are. Report any suspicious persons immediately to the Duke Police, phone 911 (from landline) or 919-684-2444 (from a cell phone). During those hours when the doors are locked, if you encounter a stranger in a secured area, do not challenge the person. Go to a phone out of sight of the stranger and call the Duke Police, phone 911(from landline) or 919-684-2444 (from a cell phone). Request that an officer be sent to investigate the matter.

Use of Library Resources

  • All Duke chemistry faculty, staff, and graduate students have access to the information resources in the Perkins Bostock Library and the Medical Center Library. Many resources are available electronically, especially databases and journals. You can find out what is where by going to the chemistry library resources web,
  • There is one online circulation system used by all the Duke libraries. Your library card is your Duke picture ID. The barcode on the back allows you to check out books in all campus libraries. Your Duke ID number or your NetID is also used to set up your My Library account on the main library website ( From this account you can request and see the status of interlibrary loans, requested items from off-site stacks, and a list of the materials you have checked out of the library. You can renew materials that have not been recalled from your My Library account. Look for the My Accounts link on
  • Duke faculty and graduate students get annual book loans in the Perkins Bostock Library. All books must be renewed in May. The Medical Center, Law, and Business School libraries have their own loan periods. Check their web sites for loan periods.
  • You may renew a book in a variety of ways: by going to "My Library Account" (See #2 above), or by emailing your name, the book's title, and the barcode in the back of the book to perkins-request@chem.duke.eduor by calling circulation (660-5870), or by bringing it to the library.
  • Recalls: If library materials are requested by another patron or needed for reserve, they can be recalled after the original patron has had the material for at least two weeks. So, while faculty and chemistry graduate students may be able to keep books for up to a year without needing to renew them, they are only guaranteed use of any book for a minimum of two weeks. Although most library fines are waived, fines for recalls and lost books are not. If you are out of town and a book is recalled, email perkins-requests@duke.eduor call circulation (660-5870) to negotiate your options.
  • Journals (bound or unbound) and reference books must be used in the library. These holdings circulate only in unusual circumstances, and then only with the clearance of a librarian.
  • Unbound journals may be found on the first floor of the Bostock library building. If there is no electronic access to journal backfiles, they are held at the Library Service Center (LSC). To get articles from journals at the LSC, use the interlibrary loan articles request form (via Interlibrary Loan link on, and in the call number/location field put "at LSC". Check the catalog record for journal locations and call numbers by doing a journal title search in the catalog. Books held in the LSC may be requested via the REQUEST link in the catalog (click on Location to get to the request option) and will arrive in the Perkins Bostock Library within 12 to 24 hours. You may pick them up at the Perkins circulation desk (Perkins 1st floor).
  • Materials on Closed Reserve do not leave the library under any circumstances and are only available for 3 hour in-house use when the library is open. If you are unsure of location, look up the title in the catalog and look at the LOCATION. This will display the library where the material is held and the call number, as well as whether the material is on closed reserve.
  • During the Fall and Spring semesters the reference desk is staffed by a professional librarian from 8:00AM – 2:00AM, Monday through Thursday, 8:00AM – 5:00 PM on Friday, 12:00PM – 5:00PM on Saturdays, and 10:00AM – 2:00 AM on Sunday. For summer and holiday hours consult the web site. Student assistants staff the circulation desk during the evening and weekend hours as well as many hours during the weekdays. For a personal or group tour of the library or for help using any of the library's resources, contact the chemistry librarian. We are available to teach individuals, classes, or groups how to use or access any of the library resources. Sessions can be tailored to fit any course or specific assignments. Course specific library resource guides can also be created and can be made available in print, web or Blackboard format. Requests should be sent by email to the chemistry librarian. The chemistry librarian keeps drop-in office hours a few afternoons a week in Room 1213, French Family Science Center. For specific times and days, e-mail the librarian or check the white board in the room.
  • For more detailed information visit the web site or contact the library by phone: Chemistry librarian: (919) 660-1578, Reference desk: (919) 660-5880, Circulation desk: (919) 660-5870, or by Fax: (919) 668-3134; or by email: or on the web at

Obtaining Research Supplies

  • Fund Codes Methods of accounting for purchases:
    • Purchases for Use in Research Your research director should advise you as to which code or codes you are authorized to use when purchasing materials. You are responsible for keeping up with these codes. You will need a 7-digit fund code when making a purchase from Buy@Duke or in person at the VWR Storeroom. It is very important that the charge code given for your purchase is the correct code.
    • Purchases for Use in Teaching Materials purchased for the various undergraduate laboratory courses are charged to the Chemistry Department. If it is necessary for a teaching assistant to purchase materials for use in a course, the TA should obtain authorization and a fund code from an Undergraduate Laboratory Manager or the Lab Preparator. Only items that are to be used as supplies in the course should be charged to the Department.
  • Self-Service Supplies A few common research supplies are available 24/7 in French on a self-service honor basis. Locations of these supplies and accounting honor systems:
    • Crushed Ice Crushed ice for teaching and research purposes is available from the ice machine located in the 1004 corridor. It is intended that ice be used for research purposes and not for picnics, etc. Please note that this ice is not edible. There is no charge for this item.
    • Dry Ice Dry Ice is available from an insulated chest located in the hall near Room 1133. Utilize Dry Ice only in quantities required. Insure that container is closed after obtaining the Dry Ice. A log is provided to indicate the amount of ice purchased. Indicate your name, your research advisor, quantity (in pounds or blocks) and the code to which it is to be charged. The current charge for Dry Ice is is posted on the log. In emergencies, small quantities of dry ice may be purchased from the VWR storeroom located in the basement of the LSRC between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
    • Liquid Nitrogen Liquid nitrogen is available in the Chemical Storage Room, Room 1239. A log is provided to indicate the amount of nitrogen purchased. Please indicate your name, your research advisor, quantity (in liters) and the code to which it is to be charged. The current charge for liquid nitrogen is posted on the log. Under no circumstances should liquid nitrogen be taken from the tank servicing research equipment in Room 1241.
    • Silica Gel Bulk dispensing of Silica Gel is available in Room 3209. A log is provided to indicate the amount of Silica Gel purchased. Please indicate your name, your research advisor, quantity (in grams) and the code to which it is to be charged. The current charge for Silica Gel is posted on the log.
  • Purchases from On-campus Vendors 
    • VWR operates a stockroom with supplies that are immediately available to research personnel on a self-service basis. It is located in the Levine Science Research Center and is open Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, with a storeroom employee on check-out duty during these hours. Purchases require a charge code. Anyone wishing to transport chemicals from the storeroom must carry chemicals in a secondary container. These secondary containers may be checked out from the LSRC stockroom, but must be returned to that stockroom after use to avoid being charged for them. If a researcher needs to transport a chemical and does not have a container with them, VWR will provide a container. Following use of the container, the researcher has three options:
      • The researcher may keep the container for future needs, but will be charged for the container.
      • The researcher may return the container to the storeroom (no charge for use).
      • The researcher may contact the VWR storeroom and schedule a return/ pickup (no charge).
  • Purchases from Outside Vendors
    • Compressed Gases There is no central storage of compressed gas cylinders in the French Family Science Center. Vendors deliver and remove cylinders regularly from individual labs. Contact your vendor for orders, deliveries and pick-ups. The safe use of gas cylinders is described in the Duke Chemistry Safety Manual.
    • Glass Blowing Glass blowing needs can be met through University Research Glassware in Chapel Hill (919-942-2753) or Prism Research Glass in Raleigh (919-571-0078).

Research Instrumentation

  • Supervision of instruments: ​In all cases a faculty or staff member is responsible for supervision of usage. The supervisor of an instrument may be an individual whose research group uses it the most or the Director of Instrument Operations. This responsibility is assigned by the Director of Instrument Operations. The Director of Instrument Operations, Dr. Peter Silinski, has the following responsibilities for Departmental instruments located in FFSC:
    • Establish operating procedures and policy.
    • Supervise scheduling of use as necessary, to include coordinating with the manager of the NMR Center scheduling of Center instruments housed in Chemistry.
    • Provide for training of new operators either by Department Staff or previously authorized operators within the Department
    • Certify approved operators and maintain a list of these posted with the instrument.
    • Assign qualified operators to run samples for persons who wish to have occasional measurements carried out.
    • Establish a schedule and check out procedure with Departmental Business Manager for preventive maintenance.
  • Instruments provided by research groups: Individual research groups have purchased specialized instruments. See the supervisor of the instrument to obtain permission to use it and to be trained to use it.
  • Instruments provided by the University: In addition to the Departmental Instrumentation, four other high field NMR instruments are available within the NMR Center in the LSRC that can be used by certified users.
  • Instruments provided by the department: Within the department there are many research instruments that can be operated by those who are certified to operate them. These instruments either belong to the department or to the NMR Center. See Instrument Facilities for instruments that are available, their locations, and charges.
  • Responsibilities of Authorized Operators
    • Operate instruments in compliance with policies and procedures established.
    • Maintain instrument activity log books.
    • Report instrument problems to Dr. Silinski or the Business Manager for Departmental Instruments. NMR™ issues are reported to the NMR Center staff. Note in the problem log book the nature of the problem and to whom and when it has been reported.
    • Run samples of non-qualified persons as assigned by their research group advisor.
  • Responsibilities of Trainees: Trainees shall operate the instruments only under supervision until certified by the supervisor as qualified.
  • Rules of Usage: Some basic protocols should be adhered to and below are some Do's and Do Not's to be followed.
    • Do not smoke or bring food or beverages into an instrument room.
    • Do not remove manuals from an instrument room without permission.
    • Do not scribble or make notes on any instrument.
    • Do leave NMR instruments locked on nights and weekends after obtaining data.
    • Do report all problems with any instrument to the Director of Instrument Operations by e-mail or in person. Maintain instrument activity and problem log books as per b and c under responsibilities of authorized operators.
  • Procedure for handling requests for additional use of instruments
    • Requests for a student or research associate to train as an operator should be made by the research director to the Director of Instrument Operations, Dr. Silinski for instruments that are not commonly operated by the user.
    • Dr. Silinski will judge when the trainee is qualified and will add the name to the list posted on the instrument.
    • All certified operators shall have equal rights and privileges, except that certain times may be established by Dr. Silinski (see scheduling) when one or another operator or group has precedence.
    • All disputes as to matters of policy shall be referred to Dr. Silinski and, if he is unable to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the parties, appeal may be made to the Infrastructure Committee.
  • Modification of Instruments: Modifications made to a Departmental instrument that limit its use should be readily reversible. Upon completion of the experiment that requires the use of any modification, the instrument is to be returned to its normal configuration. All requests for such modifications should be cleared through the Director of Instrument Operations and the Infrastructure Committee who will make a recommendation to the Chair on the advisability of making the modification. This must be done every two years.
  • Scheduling: The Director of Instrument Operations shall establish scheduling policy as the level of use warrants it. If desirable, he may designate certain times during which individual operators or research groups have precedence, though normally regular times shall not be reserved exclusively for one group or individual unless required by the nature of the experiment. Any such request should be made in writing with copies going to the scientist's Research Advisor and the Chair of the Infrastructure Committee. In scheduling the use of the instrument, all users shall be expected to take their fair share of nights and weekends to accommodate all those needing to use the instrument. For the more complex instruments which are used primarily by a single research group, a sign-up sheet should be available so that other users may have access as needed.
  • Instrument Charges: So that charges can be made properly, each user of a departmental instrument must sign the log book for that instrument with his/her name (initials and last name), the date, the number of samples run (or time used in some cases) and the correct code to which the charges should be applied. Please print legibly. Begin a new page in the log book the first day of each month. If the instrument malfunctions and you should not be charged for use, please note this in the log book by placing "N/C" in the left hand column. If no notation is made, you will be charged for the use of the instrument.

Research Emergencies


In case of an accident, call the Duke Police (from cell phone: (919) 684-2444, or from Duke land line: 911) which will bring a Duke police officer with a police car. The police are authorized to transport an injured person to the health center. If an ambulance is needed, tell the dispatcher. As soon as possible after the emergency has been dealt with, please file a report of the incident as described here.


In case of fire, call the Duke Police (from cell phone: (919) 684-2444, or from Duke land line: 911) and report the following:

  • Exact location of fire — building, room, floor and department
  • Your name
  • Phone number from which you are calling

As soon as possible after the emergency has been dealt with, please file an Incident Report Form and bringing it to the Business Manager in Suite 3236, room 3237.

Chemical Spill

In case of a chemical spill please do either a), or b) below:

  • Call the Duke Police (from cell phone: (from cell phone: (919) 684-2444, or from Duke land line: 911) and report the following:
    • Exact location of fire — building, room, floor and department
    • Your name
    • Phone number from which you are calling
  • If the spill is less than 500 mL of a not-too-hazardous material and you want to clean it up yourself, each laboratory is equipped with a set of three spill kits: one for acids, one for bases, and one for solvents. Please use the appropriate kit for the type of spill you have and follow the instructions included with each kit. As soon as possible after the emergency has been dealt with, please file a report of the incident.


All standing water on the floor must be cleaned up immediately. Water will quickly seep through the floor and could damage equipment or offices on lower floors. Mops and buckets are available on the first floor near the ice machine which is nearest room 1112. These may also be obtained through Housekeeping. For large spills, a vacuum cleaner for picking up water is available on the third floor by the vending machines which are nearest room 3224. Please empty water from the vacuum and return it when you have finished using it.

After-Incident Reporting

Fires, accidents, and chemical spills should be reported as soon as possible after the incident by completing an Incident Report Form and bringing it to the Business Manager in Suite 3236, room 3237. Make an additional copy of the form to give to Prof. Charlie Cox in Suite 1219. Include the locations of any fire extinguishers and/or spill kits which you used and now need recharging / replacing. If an extinguisher is used you must call Duke Police immediately so that the extinguisher can be recharged/replaced.

Emergency Maintenance Emergency maintenance calls should be placed to the Campus Police (from cell phone: (919) 684-2444, or from Duke land line: 911). See the Safety Manual for dealing with emergencies for more details including the emergency evacuation plan for French.

Completion of the termination procedure is necessary in order for you to remain in good standing with the Chemistry Department, to get your final paycheck, and to receive your key deposit refund. The check out procedure involves cleaning up the research lab, turning in all borrowed books to the library, returning all Chemistry keys to a staff specialist in French Science Room 3236, and leaving a forwarding address.

Schedule an Inspection

Set up an appointment with a representative of the safety committee, Dr. Bozenna Krzyzanowska, at least two weeks prior to leaving (Room 1214, 660-1517) to inspect the lab for proper disposal of chemicals. 

Clean up Lab Space

Clean up your assigned research space and properly label and dispose of all hazardous chemicals and wastes. (See the Safety Manual for further information on disposal of hazardous substances).

Obtain Signatures

Obtain all required signatures on the termination form.

  • Research director indicating that research space is in satisfactory condition.
  • Safety representative indicating that you have properly disposed of all chemicals and wastes.
  • Payroll Clerk indicating that payroll has been notified of your termination date.
  • Staff Specialist indicating that you have turned in all chemistry keys and your copy card and provided a forwarding address.
Download Termination Form (pdf - 17.43 KB)

Submit Form

The completed termination form should be given to a staff specialist in Suite 3236.