- At the start of each semester the Asst. to the DGS will have a meeting to go over all scheduling and policies related to Doctoral and Master’s Examination for that semester.In the event you must replace or change a committee member, you should first consult with your Research Advisor and obtain approval from both the advisor and the substitute committee member. You should then submit to the DGS office a letter explaining the reasons for the change and indicating the professor who has agreed to serve as a substitute on your committee. The DGS office will then submit a Change of Committee Request form to the Graduate School for approval by the Associate Dean of the Graduate School.
- To schedule a room for your seminar, contact theDGS Assistant office Caroline Morris at email@example.com or 919-660-1503 to request a room reservation.
- The Director of Graduate Studies office coordinates reservations for conference rooms. The Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies will assist you in reserving one of the conference rooms for the question/answer part of your examination. (3 hours needed)
- The DGS Asst. will then send an e-mail confirming your examination with your committee and will complete and submit the necessary announcement to the Graduate School. If you have a change in committee, you must notify the DGS office in writing at least two weeks prior to your exam or before your dissertation can be approved by the Graduate School. Failure to do so could possibly void the examination.
- You must file for Degree Completion on ACES early in the semester during which you plan to complete degree requirements: http://gradschool.duke.edu/academics/grad_deadlines.php. If there are any questions, please contact Dean John Klingensmith’s office at the Graduate School.
The Director of Graduate Studies Office will submit the formal announcement of the Final Examination Ph.D. or the Master's to the Graduate School after the student’s PI has confirmed, via email, the student’s dissertation/thesis is ready for defense. Both the DGS formal announcement and the PI email attesting to readiness are required in order to get your Ph. D. or Master's signature card. (The signature card is given to the student upon having his/her dissertation’s format checked at the Graduate School).
Upon leaving Duke Chemistry Department you must go to complete a check-out form, provided to you by the Asst. to the DGS. This form is also found in the back of the Use of Research Facilities Handbook.
*NOTE: So that the committee members will have sufficient time to read the dissertation carefully, it must be submitted to the examining committee no later than two weeks before the scheduled final examination.