With the exception of new entering students who register for the Fall on their arrival at Duke, registration for both Summer and Fall semesters is done during the Spring semester. All students must register for Continuation for Fall, Spring and Summer, regardless of how few or how many courses they are enrolled in.
NOTE: Chemistry graduate students normally do not register for courses during the Summer: special arrangements and permission form the Director of Graduate Studies would be required to do so. Since no doctoral level courses are offered during the summer, Ph.D. students typically do not register for classes during summer session. Tuition for any courses taken for the summer must be paid from non-departmental funds, typically at the students’ personal expense.
Instructions for Course Registration
- Go to www.registrar.duke.edu -> ACES/STORM Login
- Login with your NetID and password.
- Click on the green “Search for Classes” button on the right.
- Under “Enter Search Criteria” select the appropriate semester from the drop down menu.
- Next to "Course Subject" click the green “Select Subject” button or enter the abbreviation for the department in which you are interested.
- You may adjust other criteria as you see fit, by dates and times of classes, instructor name, location, etc. However, simply searching the subject is the most efficient way.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and hit the green "Search" button.
- Select a class by clicking on it and add to your Bookbag. Items in your Bookbag are not officially enrolled courses.
- Click on your Bookbag.
- Put a check mark in front of the class(es) in which you wish to enroll and hit the "Enroll" button.
- If you wish to search for another class, click the "Search" radial and repeat steps 4-11.
- Regardless of whatever classes a graduate student may take he/she must be registered for Continuation in Fall, Spring, and Summer Full each year. Continuation is automatically applied to student accounts in most cases, but each student should check their registration status during each registration period.
- If a class needs to be dropped, go to the "Drop" tab at the top of the screen, check the class to be dropped and click “Drop Selected Classes.” Drop/Add lasts the first 2 weeks of each semesters.